Labels

Events (43) Exhibitions (53) Fashion (20) Favorites (47) Interviews (19) Philanthropy (5) Topics (17)

4.23.2013

One-on-one with Fashion photographer Thorsten Roth

Good afternoon contemporary art lovers! 
Born and raised in Germany, photograph Thorsten Roth moved in the USA in 2002. He now lives and works in NYC. He studied visual communication/photo-film-design and at the same time began to work in advertising and photojournalism. Right after his studies at the Fachhochschule Bielefeld (Germany) he started working for Conde Nast in Paris as a free-lance photo assistant. Roth's photography was published in Tatler Magazine, Marie-Claire, Cosmopolitan, MR Magazine, El Pais Semanal, Libération, Figaro, Jazz Magazine, URB Magazine, Dime Magazine, and MAR Magazine among others...

First time you realized you were born to be a photographer?

“I was around fifteen and the best student in a photography school class. I had started taken pictures and filming Super 8 three years prior but at this point I became very conscious about my fascination even obsession with photography. I was driving around on my little motor­cycle to find interesting things to shoot: landscapes, people, buildings ­ I also read anything about photography I could get into my hands.
At one point I saw a documentary about Oliviero Toscani on T.V. creative­directing and shooting Benetton and it made 'Click' in me and my guts told me: "You have something going on just like this guy."
Long story short ­ all of this lead for pursuing studies in Photo­/Film at one of the best German Design­Colleges and moving to Paris. It turned out that ten years after seeing the documentary I was standing as an assistant with Oliviero on a Benetton Photo­Set.

Funny how life turns out when you want something real bad! :)”

Who have inspired you to become an artist?

“I owe that certainly to my teachers and my education ­ at the beginning my family was not really crazy about my choice. It was through the exposure to art in museums, exhibitions and watching documentaries and movies on T.V. that provided inspiration.
Artistically I grew up with Bauhaus, New Objectivity and German Expressionism ­ I loved particularly the painters Max Beckmann, George Grosz, Otto Dix ­ on the film side certainly Fritz Lange ­ later on Rainer Werner Fassbinder, Volker Schloendorff and Wim Wenders.

In college I really fell in love with French Impressionism which lead to the decision to move to Paris after college and to the result that I've lived there for twelve years.”

READ MORE: http://www.hauteliving.com/2013/04/one%C2%AD-on-one-with-photographer-thorsten-roth/353263/

Thank you Thorsten! Well I guess there is only to add to this interview: Break a leg... 

All images © 2013 All rights reserved by Thorsten Roth. For more information on Thorsten Roth, please visit his website

No comments:

Post a Comment